Thursday, October 4, 2012

Getting settled

Hello again,

I wanted to post with a few updates about my life as I am settling in a bit more. First, and very importantly, I finally have some leads about fixing my internet connection problems in my room! Someone is going to be around Northumberland House (my house) tomorrow to help so I hope to get it worked out so I can do things like skype in my own room rather than sitting outside the library to get wifi! On the other hand, I am trying not to get my hopes up too much because I have no idea what will be involved in fixing this; it could take a while.

Yesterday, I took a "Local Area Tour" around LSE to see what is nearby. It was a cool tour and I think my favorite was going by the Royal Courts of Justice which are very near to LSE. After that I was assigned my academic advisor. As it turns out, I have two--one for this term (Michaelmas Term or MT) and one for the Lent and Summer Terms. The first is in the International Relations department and the second is in the Government Department. Which reminds me, I should take a minute to explain how my program works. All of my orientation events have been with the European Institute which is a department that only takes postgraduates (by the way, what American's call graduate studies are called postgraduate studies here so I am a postgrad). The European Institute or EI offers something like 6 master's programs of which mine, the Politics and Government in the European Union, is one. However, my program, unlike the other 5, is also under the IR and Gov departments so some of our classes are in those departments and in some cases (like mine) our advisors are in those departments. Anyway, back to the advisors. I looked them up. They don't seem to be interested in exactly what I am, but that is okay. Today I actually introduced myself to my advisor for the LT and ST and I look forward to meeting my MT advisor tomorrow.

Oh, before I forget, the other thing I did yesterday was take some pictures! I will try to post some of them here, but I would invite you to visit my Facebook page to see them all. There, I take you on a walking tour from my lodgings to LSE and then from my house to Parliament and back. It was my first trip down to Parliament since I've been here and it was as awe-inspiring as ever. I found myself wondering if I will ever lose that sense of awe when I look at the building...maybe if/when I have been working there for six months...but I kind of hope not. Which leads me to...

The Parliamentary Internship scheme! Today, I went to a talk about it, hopeful despite the fact that yesterday at a career services talk, they really scared me about the big time commitment this is (they said if you are struggling just to keep up with course work this isn't for you, but how will I know if I'm struggling until the term starts?!), but I still think I want to apply. So that you know, LSE had this scheme where they list a number of internships with MPs (Members of Parliament) and some Lords and then LSE students can apply. If LSE likes your application, they forward it to the MP who will conduct interviews and hire someone. It is a volunteer position and you have to commit "up to 15 hours per week" which is where the nerves about timing and time management come in! I still think it is a once in a lifetime kind of chance so I feel like I should go for it!

Speaking of opportunities at LSE, there is so much I want to do, but I am trying really hard not to get over committed!! One of the things I am thinking about right now is that they have an extracurricular language program so I could (for a fee) sign up to take a language for a two (I think) hours per week (plus homework time). I really feel like I want to take German,  mostly because it is a language I want to learn, but also because I feel like my lack of a solid second language (my spanish is pretty shaky) will shortly hold me back. Anyway, I can't decide if it is something I can afford (time-wise or money-wise) to commit to...

One other orientation event today...my program inductions. One thing I have learned, apparently the term "inductions" mean something very different here than they do in the States. Here, they are basically orientation presentations where you get info about the school, department, program, etc. In the States, at least in my experience, it is a ceremony of welcome. Similar, but definitely different.

So now I am in the library waiting until 5:30 when my program is meeting at the pub for a social event (don't worry, I plan to get a soft drink). :)

Britishisms (as promised):
Postgraduate= graduate student
Inductions= orientation presentations
GP= General Practitioner (i.e. a doctor)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Hope you are all well! As Tigger would say (yep, I'm quoting Tigger), ttfn, ta-ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment