Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A (slightly exceptional) day in the life...(archbishops included)

Hey all!

I hope you are all doing well! Sorry it has been a while since my last update (busy time of year in London-you know, basically every day).

So I know I owe you great details on a number of things. However, I am not sure I have the energy to talk about all of them (I will, just not tonight). So I'm going to break my rule and go out of chronological order (just this once!) to update you about today and then in a later post (hopefully this weekend) I will fill you in about other things I've been doing since I "met" the Queen.

Today has been an emotional roller-coaster! I think I would be exhausted even if I had gotten more sleep last night! I prefer to get bad news first and follow it with the good news so that is what I will do here. So just stick with me through the bad news (don't worry, it's not that bad, I'm fine).

Big downside of today: I didn't get the parliamentary internship I applied for. If you and I are friends on Facebook this story will be a bit redundant, but for those of you who aren't on Facebook or don't spent all your time watching what I'm doing (although why not, I have no idea ;) --just kidding!) I am going to take a bit of time to fill you in. Not getting the internship was not a big surprise, but upsetting nonetheless. Here goes...

Since I absolutely love parliament (but, really), I have applied for several internships over the past few months (in addition to just loving parliament, I also think it would be a great opportunity to learn more and would really help me in my future work). LSE has a parliamentary internship scheme that I have been applying through (I haven't applied for all that many for a variety of reasons, only 4 or 5). The way the scheme works is you send an application to LSE and the LSE careers people look it over. They then shortlist 5 or 6 people and send the applications on to the MP's (or Lord's) office. The MP or a staff member (let's face it, it will be a staff member) will probably narrow this further and then you may get an interview, after which, they generally (more on this in a moment) pick someone. The entire process can take weeks (so long, in fact, that I have at times thought I was out of the running only to find out later that I had moved on to the next step).

I was lucky enough to be shortlisted for two internships with Liberal Democrat MPs (for the record, I have only been applying for Lib Dem positions, but I won't bore you with why-ask if you want to know). One, I never heard anything more about. However, with the other I was asked for an interview!! I was so excited and nervous! I ended up interviewing the day after they asked for my interview availability which was Thursday 29 November (nearly two weeks ago; to clarify that was the day of the interview itself). I interviewed with the MP's researcher who was a lovely young woman (not that much older than me) and I thought it went really well! We seemed to really hit it off and I thought I could really enjoy working for her/with her! To be honest, I have never wanted any position as badly as I wanted this (with the exception of any of the fellowships I applied for last year). Anyway, I was really proud of how the interview went (and I still am-I have no regrets in that respect). I was told that they were only interviewing one other person (good chances!) and that the other interview would be the following week (so last week).

So, I waited. And waited. And waited. Really it wasn't that bad, but it felt like ages!! I was checking my email constantly and so upset when there was never anything there (much like with the fellowships actually). Finally, last Friday (over a week since the interview), I emailed my interviewer. I asked when she expected to make a decision and if she would notify both of us (i.e. I was already wondering if I hadn't gotten the job and she just didn't bother to tell me). I never heard back (still haven't). In fact, I have not heard one word via email or any other method from her since the interview (despite the fact that I, as requested, emailed her my availability for times to work and then sent this inquiry). Finally, after talking via a series of emails with my Mom last night I decided that if I hadn't heard by Friday I was going to let it go. But I also decided that today, if I hadn't heard by midday, I would email the person in LSE Careers in charge of the scheme and see if he knew anything.

I got a very quick (surprising!) response from him that was very kind. Apparently, my interviewer contacted him just yesterday saying they had decided not to take any intern on at all. The LSE coordinator didn't know why and wasn't even aware the interviews had taken place. He was kind enough to apologize for their behavior--i.e. not alerting me that they aren't hiring any interns, namely me (and I say hiring, but this was a volunteer position).

I was sad, but as I said, not all that surprised. After this long, I figured I hadn't gotten it but didn't want to admit it. However I was also mad that they went through all of that not to hire anyone and then didn't treat us very well in the process! But I am trying to think on the positive side. 1) I didn't lose the job to another candidate! That makes me feel slightly better about myself than if they had hired someone else. And more importantly, 2) in hindsight, as much as I wanted this position, I don't think I want to work for someone who would treat me that way. I believe I deserved at least a short email saying thanks but no thanks and I didn't even get that.

That was bad thing number one for today. Bad thing number two: my favorite receptionist, Caitlin (and in fact the only one I am really comfortable with), at my house is leaving suddenly! :( She was, in my opinion, by far the nicest, most willing to help, best person working here and she is leaving! It is a long story (that you don't really need to know) that I basically found out tonight at a little going away party, but the fact is, I'm sad she's gone.

BUT, I promised that there would be good news because today was a roller-coaster! So on to that! One really cool thing was I heard from a former high school teacher of mine out of the blue! We were rather close and have tried to keep in touch since I left high school (wow that seems like a long time ago). Anyway, that was just a very happy way to start the day.

More good stuff: I met (in a more substantial way than the Queen) the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams today! This too needs some background... Partly because I live right off Trafalgar Square, it was really convenient for me to attend St. Martin in the Fields (a fairly world-renowned Anglican Church) which is right on the Square. And even better, I have really enjoyed going there so I have become a bit of a regular (I'm there most Sundays). It reminds me a lot of St. Barnabas in some ways so I feel as "at home" there as I think I would at any church that isn't St. Barnabas (my home parish). One of the priests has even started to recognize me!

They have a lot of events and concerts at St. Martins (partly because of the wonderful choir). One Sunday I read that there was going to be a service of thanksgiving for 80 years of the BBC World Service (that was the service today). Further, a few tickets were being held aside for St. Martins' members. Now, normally, this wouldn't mean much to me. Frankly, although I now (after today) understand the BBC World Service has done and continues to do some great things all over the world, I don't feel particularly connected to it. BUT, the little blurb that was advertising this service said that the address was going to be given by Rowan Williams. And I thought, well if I can get in to see that, I better take the opportunity!

For those of you who don't know, I'm Episcopalian (the American version of Anglican which is, in turn, the general umbrella the Church of England fits into). The Archbishop of Canterbury is the head (at least symbolically) of the worldwide Anglican community. Rowan Williams is the current AB (I don't want to keep typing Archbishop), but his successor was chosen in November. So that there is no confusion, Rowan Williams is still the AB (the new guy is the AB-elect). You may know Williams from the royal wedding last year.

So now that we are all caught-up on basic Anglican stuff, as I said, I wanted to hear him speak! So I emailed the St. Martin's contact person for this event and explained that although I am not a member I have been coming regularly and if there is one available, I would really like a ticket to this service. Well, no problem at all (St. Martins has really been great in so many ways)!

So this morning, I went to the service and heard the AB speak. For the record, the service was broadcast world-wide on the radio so if you happened to catch it, you were hearing me (and a bunch of others) singing those hymns! In other words, I made my radio debut today! Naturally, the AB's address focused on the press and on the recent issues/discussions here in the UK about press regulation and free speech (I would be happy to discuss this if anyone wants details). Anyway, I thought it was a good address (not perhaps the most moving, but that is partly because I don't feel particularly close to the BBC World Service despite my new-found appreciation of it). If you are interested, you can read or listen to the address here. And for the next seven days at least you can listen to the whole service here.

At the end of the service, I got to shake hands with Rowan Williams! I think I said thank you. And just so we are all clear, no curtseys this time. :) Clearly, a more significant "meeting" than with the Queen (where I was just really close to her, but didn't shake her hand). It was really cool (although I have to say, not as cool as getting to meet Katherine Jefferts-Shori, the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church and a prime example of why the Church of England really needs to get on board and approve women bishops)!

So that was today! Not exactly a normal day for me in London, but then again, so many great things happen all the time here that in some ways it was not that unusual! There is always something going on!

I promise I will update you shortly on my other adventures! This Friday will be the last day of my first term of graduate school! I survived! Of course, all the finals are in the summer so I haven't really survived yet. I am going to travel around the UK over break, but I will also update you all!

Take care! I really appreciate all of your support (especially the last few weeks with this internship)!
Cheers,
Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment