Sunday, November 11, 2012

My very British weekend

Hello all,

Happy Veterans Day to those in the States. I have to say that I have never been so moved by this day as I was today (but more on that shortly). To those of you who are veterans, thank you. Today, I found myself thinking a lot about my Papa (my grandfather) who was a awarded a Bronze Star in WWII.

Anyway, I am breaking tradition (in a good way) and updating my blog soon after my previous update because I wanted to share the events of this weekend with you. In short, I learned that London knows how to party/put on a show!

Yesterday, I went to the Lord Mayor's Show/Parade. This was quite a lucky break. I had read about the show and made a note that I wanted to see it, but I didn't realize it was going on yesterday until someone posted something on Facebook. Luckily I had time to rush out and didn't miss a thing! This event has been going on for almost 800 years. It takes place after the Lord Mayor of the City of London has been elected. By the way, the Lord Mayor is not to be confused with the Mayor of London who is, according to Wikipedia (to my professors, this is not my usual research method and I ask your forgiveness for using it now), the Mayor of Greater London rather than just the City. Anyway, after he (or presumably, she) is elected (but not the same day), there is a huge (this year it was over 3.5 miles long) parade from the mansion house, past St. Paul's, to the Royal Courts of Justice (which by the way, is just around the corner, literally, from LSE) where he swears allegiance to the Queen (or King as the case may be). After a break for lunch, they all march back by a different route. This was quite a procession! Reminded me a bit of the Thanksgiving Day Parade in the States with all the bands (yay; I even saw a marching bassoon), but there are more people in military uniforms than I remember at Thanksgiving and at the end, instead of Santa Clause, there is the Lord Mayor in an 800 year old gold, horse-drawn coach! Anyway, it was quite a good show and I'm very glad I went. (Below is a picture of the coach with the Lord Mayor sticking his head out.)



And then today...wow. I went to the Remembrance Day Ceremony at the cenotaph (that is what they call the war memorial) on Whitehall (literally, one street over from my house). This is the British version of Veterans Day and it was a sight to behold! The entire street was shut down (as were others nearby). The ceremony starts at 11 but I got there about 9:15 and was able to secure a spot right up against the barricade with a decent view (except for the sun in my eyes) and a great view of a big screen broadcasting the events at the cenotaph. First, at about 10:15 or 10:30 thousands of veterans started marching down the road in their battalions (this is probably the incorrect military term and I apologize, but they were organized in groups). I read afterwards that there were nearly 10,000 of them! That is in addition to the thousands of spectators along the road. Once they were all lined up in the road, it was nearly 11. Just before 11, an acolyte carring a cross with poppies attached led a procession of clergy out of the building by the cenotaph (they can do stuff like this in a country that doesn't separate church and state). After the clergy, came the Queen and Prince Philip and other assorted royals and government leaders including the leaders of the three main parties (for those I have not yet bored with my incessant talk about British Politics or who have blocked me out when I have, those are the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, and Labour Parties).

Then Big Ben rang 11 o'clock and two minutes of silence started. This was amazing. Maybe it was because I was near the middle of the crowd and the closed street, but it felt like the entire city or country or world was still for those two minutes! The only sound I heard was gulls. After two minutes the ceremony began. There were prayers lead by the Bishop of London and hymns that everyone sung accompanied by the amazing military band (I'm sure they have a more specific name, but you get the point). One of the most amazing feelings was standing in this group of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of people with (it felt like) everyone saying the Lord's Prayer together. The Queen laid a wreath, followed by Prince Philip, Prince William (sorry, I know, the Duke of Cambridge), and other assorted royals. Then David Cameron, Nick Clegg, and Ed Miliband laid wreaths one at a time (they are the leaders of the parties). Then a bunch of other people (I think representatives from the Commonwealth countries) laid wreaths. After that and some more of the service (some of the prayers and hymns were here, not before) everyone sang God Save the Queen and then the party at the cenotaph went inside and all of the veterans marched by and each group put down a wreath. It was simply amazing! And one of the most moving ceremonies of my entire life.

Now, I know that what I am about to say is not fitting with the solemn and respectful nature of the day. However, I really feel like I want to share these thoughts so please excuse me just for a minute. I WAS IN THE PRESENCE OF THE QUEEN AND THE ROYALS AND CAMERON AND CLEGG AND MILIBAND TODAY!! With the exception of Nick Clegg (good story for another time) I have never been in their presence and it was awesome! Granted, between the distance and all the veterans on the street, I couldn't see them in person, but I got great views on the screen (and pictures of said screen) and I think I saw some of their hats as they were walking. You have to understand, for me, this is my version of meeting/seeing rock stars or movie stars! And, I didn't think they would be there, but WILLIAM AND KATE WERE THERE TOO! I actually stood in a group of thousands of people and sang God Save the Queen TO THE QUEEN!! Yes, yes, I know Dad, I'm an anglophile, no sense trying to deny it now.
 
The veterans lined up on the street.

 
The Queen.

 
From left, Miliband (kind of hidden by tree branch), Clegg, and Cameron (the Prime Minister).

                                        Catherine the Duchess of Cambridge, third from left.

 
The Duke of Cambridge saluting.


Chelsea Pensioners.  


The Cenotaph after they let the crowds come forward.


In short, this weekend was amazing and I even managed to get some work done (but still have more to do). I will try to put some more pictures up some other time (and on Facebook), but I really ought to do some more work before bed.

Cheers,
Abbey

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Babe. You got it bad, but it sounds like a fun day and a very moving experience. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete